Friday, June 12, 2015

"The Descent"


The Descent

Indian tobacco and snakeroot have yet to blossom.
Folklore, myths, and trails beg to be explored -

yet I find my eyes clinging to haloed light
filtered between slits of ridge top pines;
yearn for sun's blessing upon my skin -

descend into darkness,
enveloped by a trembling reverence.

Find a bit of salvation
in pocketed fingertips lightly caressing
Seymour's "Wildflowers of Mammoth Cave" -

quietly murmur "Amen".

by Margaret Bednar, June 12, 2015


This is linked with the challenge "Imaginary Garden of Real Toads - Herotomost's Friday Challenge - the Cavern of My Thoughts".

About 20 years ago I descended into the depths of Mammoth Cave in Kentucky.  As much as I was mesmerized by what I saw, I also have never repeated it - I had mixed emotions - perhaps the fear of going down with my young children had something to do with it.  I will admit, given a choice, I will happily explore the flora and fauna of a forest as opposed to what's below its surface.  

11 comments:

Sanaa Rizvi said...

yet I find my eyes clinging to haloed light
filtered between slits of ridge top pines;
yearn for sun's blessing upon my skin -

Beautiful lines.. I can feel the longing for the Sun :D
Well penned..!

Lots of love,
Sanaa

Jeanne said...

Love that poem and it goes perfect with your photo

Raining Iguanas said...

Margaret, Howe Caverns is the closest underground attraction in our area. I took my sons there when they were young and my wife was away for the weekend. Although we enjoyed boy's day out I think they would have favored a hike in the filtered light above the cave more. The sun is a blessing isn't it.

Hannah said...

I love the haloed light...all of this is so vivid...beautifully written, Margaret!

Maude Lynn said...

I feel the hesitance, the reverence. Lovely, Margaret.

Kerry O'Connor said...

I especially like the suggestion that one should keep one's eyes on the light when descending into a cave.

brudberg said...

The hesitance to leave the daylight behind is so strong here.. The longing for the flowers (a farewell before descending)

Vandana Sharma said...

below the surface could be spooky indeed and its better we follow our instincts!

Marian said...

Oh... I went there as a young teenager and certainly have not forgotten it.

Anonymous said...

amen.

Herotomost said...

That would be a cool trip although I would be a bit anxious. What a great poem Margaret, you captured the feeling splendidly, that first stanza,a perfect set up!! Thanks for writing!