Saturday, June 20, 2015

"No Such Thing as Small Mercies"


No Such Thing as Small Mercies

I can destroy it
with a flick of a booted toe
or a swipe of my shovel
yet today
decide to let the sun flicker light
upon intricate patterns
that must have spun all night.

I remember the spider
two summers ago
outside dining room window
(a truly huge southern variety)
that mesmerized us
scurrying across woven web,
wrapping assorted victims;
(looked at our own dinner plates -
similarities unseen).

Lucky I couldn't reach her,
blessed was she my son became "attached",
that my mother's heart responded in kind.
Must have known a sanctuary
when presented as she stayed all July -
until one day she was gone,
morning dew preserving her lacy artwork 
a while longer.

How often 
do we unknowingly teeter
beside a precipice, unaware of mercies granted?
How beautiful is the foundation I weave,
how strong its construction?
How benevolent the Being
that watches over me?

Margaret Bednar, June 20, 2015


This is linked with "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Sunday Mini-Challenge - Ode to the Quotidian" aka "mundane, daily.  Start with something lowly and scale whatever heights or fancies you wish".

I see spider webs every day at the barn and I don't always see them in a wondrous light.

15 comments:

Sanaa Rizvi said...

This poem evokes such depth.. such passion.. loved these lines:

How beautiful is the foundation I weave,
how strong its construction?
How benevolent the Being
that watches over me?

Beautifully executed!
Lots of love,
Sanaa

Outlawyer said...

Oh the webs we weave! This becomes wonderfully spiritual at the end, Margaret, and very human throughout. Thanks so much for participating. k.

Sumana Roy said...

from watching to being watched..love this spiritual transition..

Kerry O'Connor said...

This is a poem with a strong message. I love the storytelling elements and the reminder that we should look beyond what is seemingly ugly or frightening in nature to appreciate the endeavour of all living things.

brudberg said...

This is absolutely fantastic.. I love how you let the spider stay, how you save its web. I think going deep into this you tell a story just as much of yourself as the spider.

hedgewitch said...

as always, fine photography, and the words you found for it make our own place in the cosmos change perspective--that is, are we allowed, more than intended, and what does that mean for beings like us who take ourselves and our webs so seriously. Of course, I'm sure the spider does the same...

Grace said...

I am always torn between wrecking them or letting them be, smiles ~ I like the questions in the end Margaret & stunning picture of the spider's lacy artwork ~

Fireblossom said...

I love how you've turned the whole thing around, to speculate upon the mercies we receive, whether we realize it or not. s i am walking my route, webs are the bane of my summertime existence. I am forever getting ticklers on my arms and legs. It's been worse this year because of the scads of canker worms dangling from the trees on their little filaments.

One idea that has stayed with me ever since i saw it somewhere, is that every creature wants its life just as much as we want our own. That insight has changed how I view just about everything, and you have brought it to life here. I also really liked the section about your son and how his attachment to the spider changed your view of it, because of your love for him.

Unknown said...

I figure that if it's minding its own business then there is no need to eliminate the creature. In fact, for many years I had a spider who lived in my car. We coexisted just fine :) Nice connection between letting a spider live to the innate curiousity to wonder what invisible forces are at work as we go about our own business. Thank you for that analogy.

Maude Lynn said...

This is really exquisite, Margaret.

Jim said...

I loved the story here, Margaret. The ending was special
(How benevolent the Being
that watches over me?

Often I think about how, in respect to our world and to the machines that we have made, how we are like ants to them when here in the hands of you and me.
..

C.C. said...

Love the connection and personal meaning you wove into your poem in the last stanza. Truly beautiful.

Anonymous said...

This is just super! I especially loved the ending - giving pause to appreciate our many blessings.

Laura said...

Thank you dear Margaret for sharing your tender heart. May mercy, compassion support and guide us always.

grapeling said...

I save as many spiders as I can. I have a hard time with roaches, though... ~