Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Wint'ry Night


Wint'ry Night

A waxing gibbous is tonight's moon,
glow to the east, Jupiter -
court each other above our heads,
illuminating March's waning wint'ry sky.

Necklaced through naked tree line
they invite us to linger,
admire velvety silhouettes
faintly seen in this blue darkness -

the only noise
mud splattered boots and hooves
slowly making way towards the barn.

by Margaret Bednar, March 3, 2015


This is linked (although a bit late) to "Imaginary Garden of Real Toad's -  Flash 55 Plus" (add a color is the added challenge) and to the "Imaginary Garden of Real Toad's - Tuesday Platform"

This was hastily written to try and capture the magic of evening of March 2 - what a beautiful sunset and night sky!  The light from the moon and what I now know was Jupiter was breathtaking.  I hear Venus is the only thing that shines brighter than Jupiter!  

18 comments:

Vandana Sharma said...

such marvel................

Kerry O'Connor said...

Sigh...
Beautiful capture of mood in photo and verse.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I love this time of year when we can really feel spring coming. Lovely photo to go with your poem.

Gillena Cox said...

your courtship of night is intriguing

much love...

brudberg said...

I have never been out riding under a full moon but this made me recall once when I was out skiing under the full moon with my father.. one of my clearest childhood memories.

Audrey Howitt aka Divalounger said...

This is beautiful Margaret--it makes me sigh a bit and want to see this world through your eyes for a while

Gail said...

Beautiful and one of my favorite sounds.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

What a spectacular photo, Margaret. And your words made me feel exactly what it is like to walk a horse towards the barn in the waning light...........loved it!

said...

I love this line: "glow to the east, Jupiter"

Jim said...

Love it, Margaret. I was out there in the coral with you. "mud splattered boots and hooves" says that it is time to end sky and moon watching for your and the horse.

The picture (photo) is great!!
..

Marian said...

Wonderful, Margaret.
A couple weeks back we got the treat of viewing Venus right next to the moon with Mars behind her. Really amazing!

rallentanda said...

Idylic scene and as others have said the clip clop of the horses gives it that magical effect.

Susan said...

Such a pretty picture as we are invited to watch moon and jupiter court. I think I saw the same scene sans horse and barn.

Magaly Guerrero said...

You always create such clear mood paintings. And the sounds of the last stanza are perfect.

M. A. S. said...

Necklaced through the naked tree line
is an amazing line.

Lolamouse said...

I can feel the magic in the night you describe. So beautiful!

Outlawyer said...

It is so lovely to be outside that time of day-- and especially fun with a big friendly animal! Beautifully deacrived and great pic. K. Manicddaily

Susie Clevenger said...

Beautiful photo and words...serenity. I used to love snowbound winter nights.