Tuesday, March 24, 2015

"Morning Fog"


Morning Fog

I raise my arm as if applying
a few chunky brushstrokes of Payne's Gray
to a bashful sunrise and watery clouds

slash vertical strokes for the masts,
horizontal brush for skyline and waves,
find myself framed within a muted Cezanne.

How would he paint me?
Dreamily distant, stoically serious,
or a temptress beside river's edge?

Perhaps he'd use artistic license,
add Mont Sainte Victoire; allow me 
the same freedom before morning's fog lifts.

by Margaret Bednar, March 24, 2015

This is for "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Tuesday Platform."  I wrote this in ten minutes, trying to just respond to the image I took early one morning while in St. Augustine, FL.   Not sure if this is a completed poem or one that is "in the works".

7 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

very dreamy.

my heart's love songs said...

love this! especially ~

"allow me the same freedom
to choose my mood before morning's fog lifts."

i feel like i'm in a fog most days when i awake. i hadn't thought to "choose" my mood, but i'm going to try it!

Happy Spring!

brudberg said...

I love how you become one with the painting.. even fog at water I would think more about Turner.. The image of fog over water at dawn is enchanting.

Jim said...

Like your painting in the works, Margaret. This pretty picture could inspire me too. I might put you in it, probably not Cezanne's little mountain. My post today was 'sort of' myself from dwelling a bit on the red little cabin in my picture. I had already posted it on my other blog and had gotten to really like it. No mountain was in my thinking.

Your poem reminded me of the "original" Cezanne, complete with his favorite mountain, that I found in the Lautrec Museum in Albi, France. Of course 'no photography allowed.'
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_aOZEGRAw2Q8/Sm9-l04mOnI/AAAAAAAAFHE/tqlVxiXybVw/s800-h/DSC07080.JPG

Marian said...

Yes, dreamy...

Kerry O'Connor said...

You have used a very painterly description in this piece. The mood is so tranquil.

Laura said...

Beautiful… I love the muted colors, the way you allow yourself to imagine Cezanne painting you.

"allow me the same freedom
to choose my mood before morning's fog lifts." such an exquisite line!