Sunday, December 7, 2014

"Moon Before Yule"


Moon Before Yule

Loblolly pines
court the Long Night Moon
whose frosted eye
peeks from behind curtained clouds,
arcs a wandering path,
weaving silently, stealthily
above field and stream;
appears in full splendor
as if a eucharistic offering.

I hear a warbling songbird
as I night-walk familiar forested path;
humbly receive December's thanksgiving.

by Margaret Bednar, December 6, 2014


It is also known as the Gemini Moon - whatever the name it is gorgeous.  We have had a rainy day and the sky is cloudy, but I walked the dog tonight with only a sweater on as it was a pleasant 50 degrees.  I was shocked to hear a songbird sing out - perhaps it was confused by the bright light of the moon.  Either way, it was a joy to hear it around 11 pm.

This is for "Imaginary Garden with Real Toads Flash 55" - a flash fiction or poetry in 55 words - no more no less.


18 comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

"Long Night Moon/whose frosted eye/peeks..."

Such beautiful imagery, Margaret. I can see her bright and high, watching everything with her silver eye.

Maude Lynn said...

Beautiful, Margaret.

brudberg said...

I love how the moon comes behind the pine-tree - really vivid picture here. Wonderful to walk in that silver.

Vandana Sharma said...

What a mesmerizing night and a wonderful surprise of the song of the bird!

Yvonne Osborne said...

I love your two opening lines. They really set the mood. The full moon lifts my spirits like a sunny day. It's just so beautiful,it takes us out of ourselves and whatever aches. But no song birds here, just lots of geese flying overhead.

Anonymous said...

Very pretty and beautiful pic. The moon has been just wonderful. I am sometimes afraid to walk at night here--bears--and it's so cold--so I appreciated walking vicariously with you. Thanks, Margaret. k.

Grandmother Mary said...

I just love the image of the pine tree courting the moon and the moon as eucharist is evident in the beautiful photo. A magic moment, Margaret.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Such serenity in these words.

Lisa Gordon said...

This is wonderful, Margaret.

I wish you and your beautiful family a most beautiful holiday.

Marian said...

perfect.

Susan said...

Fantastic luck to catch part of that courtship with its musical accompaniment. You are blessed, and so am I by reading your poem.

Lolamouse said...

So serene and lovely.

Hannah said...

I love your closing and notes about your walk...the entirety is beautiful, Margaret and meditative.

kaykuala said...

Something unusual and unexpected can be a precursor of good tidings, so they say! Wonderful 55 Marge!

Hank

Sreeja said...

beautiful ....lovely images....
Thanks for the visit Margaret... :-)

Ginnie Hart said...

Did someone say "Gemini Moon?" :) The best kind to have, of course...but I'm prejudiced. Beautiful, Margaret, in both vision and verb!

Gillena Cox said...

thank you for stopping by my blog verses

have a good week

much love...

Raining Iguanas said...

The songbird never confused had something to say, and you were listening.