Monday, April 7, 2014

"The Invitation"


The Invitation

I remember when you braided daisies,
wove them gently through your hair,
spun, unbridled -

remember when your tangled tresses
framed a face
flush with hope and sun.

Beneath today's clear blue sky,
will you take my hand and learn
to dream again?

by Margaret Bednar, (original Nov, 2012) updated April 7, 2014


This is a remake of an old poem I wrote back in November of 2012.  I find the old one rather clunky, didn't really capture what I wanted to express.  I think this version is closer.

This is linked with Imaginary Garden of Real Toads - Open Link Monday.


For the month of April, I am participating in NaPoWriMo2014 or National Poetry Writing Month.  The website is HERE.

In celebration of this year's challenge, I will be giving away a free book of my poetry.  If you are interested in participating in this drawing, please click the red logo at the top of my side bar and leave your name and a means to reach (blog, email, etc) you in the comment section.

PLEASE INDICATE YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE IN THE DRAWING OR I WILL ASSUME YOU ARE JUST COMMENTING.  THANKS. 

7 comments:

Susan said...

Yes! She will; she will.

Sumana Roy said...

definitely.. :)

Anonymous said...

There's a deep sense of love's history here, perhaps a mother's with her child, but also the simple gifting of one heart to another over time. The images are so tender and real that they remain because they're fleeting. Nice images with the post too, love the new header.

Anonymous said...

Love the hopefulness that those times can be recaptured. Beautiful.

hedgewitch said...

This is very musical,Margaret, both in its wording and in cadence, and has a great sense of lightness. Love is best when it can float like this, and carry us along.

Maude Lynn said...

Lightness is the word that I thought of, too. Really lovely work, Margaret.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Oh this is brilliant. It makes me think of my daughters when they were little. I miss those days.