Friday, April 4, 2014

"Dearest Ones"

Lake Michigan, 1995 (destined to never wear a two-piece again)
Dearest Ones,

I've but blinked, or so it seems,

and all is quieter, echoes of vibrato
and guitar stings grow faint.

Just a blink

find brush -n- pen no longer tickle
early morning's light.

Close my eyes,

remember days together,
when youth had us three in her hands.

Blink

find I'm left behind, needed by others,
yet my heart breaks a little

as you don't look back. 

                 Love Always,

                 Mom

2014

My two oldest are in college and our house is much quieter.  Different.  I still have four at home and they keep me hopping.  With each child, I will feel a loss, I know it.  

Yet, I am just as excited to watch them becoming young adults, following their passions…  

I took the two oldest and my youngest to visit their grandparents (see them in upper left hand corner? ) in Florida over spring break.  I so enjoyed hearing my son sing and watch my daughter draw on the beach.  My son is studying Drama and my daughter is majoring in Scene Design.




For the month of April, I am participating in NaPoWriMo2014 or National Poetry Writing Month.  The website is HERE.

In celebration of this year's challenge, I will be giving away a free book of my poetry.  If you are interested in participating in this drawing, please click the red logo at the top of my side bar and leave your name and a means to reach (blog, email, etc) you in the comment section.

PLEASE INDICATE YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE IN THE DRAWING OR I WILL ASSUME YOU ARE JUST COMMENTING.  THANKS. 

19 comments:

M. A. S. said...

I love the "blinks." It turns this into a sad movie. Very kinetic. Very nice.

Kerry O'Connor said...

They do grow up in the blink of an eye.. but mothers may take comfort in seeing what amazing people our kids have grown up to be.

These are such tender thoughts shared in the postcard style.

Fireblossom said...

I had a moment when my son was fifteen when suddenly realized his life had moved outside of me, that though he was still there, we was gone into his own life already. I was pretty blue for a while after that, but he is 28 now and we are as close as ever. They leave, but they stay, too. :-)

Sumana Roy said...

Time flies..you've beautifully captivated that...love this sweet-sad emotion... :)and nice pic

Ella said...

I love the blink-it reminds me of taking photos and how we try to freeze-frame these cherished moments.
They will look back and see how much you encouraged them. My first born has moved out-continuing his education and my youngest will soar to the mountains of NC-this fall.
This makes me sad, but it also reminds me of now. I continue to be in their worlds, as they dance down new avenues.

hedgewitch said...

You know this resonates with me Margaret, though I had only one to lose, not six, and I feel your loss will be more of a sea-change than an erasure--I am filled with respect for your love and courage, so beautifully expressed here.

TexWisGirl said...

how very sweet to watch them follow their passions.

Other Mary said...

Yes, a blink is all it takes. Our families are pretty close to the same stage. My kids a just a little older than yours, and I still feel the same bitter-sweet of them becoming adults. Beautifully done, Margaret.

Helen said...

In the blink of an eye ... as I blink away a tear.

Maude Lynn said...

Straight to my heart, Margaret. Straight to my heart.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

This touched me greatly, too, Margaret. Those precious days when the kids are all small........they go so fast. But they do stay close and....wait for it....they bring more people home. Good thing you have an expandable dining room table, you will need it.

Grandmother Mary said...

Like Hedge, I only had one but when she left I was bereft. I'm close to her now but oh the years in between!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely letter. Don't worry too much about them leaving home. Chances are they'll come back.

Stacy M.S. said...

lovely and bittersweet.

love this post, thanks for sharing!

stacy lynn mar
http://warningthestars.blogspot.com/

Lisa Gordon said...

It really does happen all too quickly.
This is a beautiful post, Margaret.

Susie Clevenger said...

Yes, it seems it is only a blink and they are gone. I had to reinvent myself when our nest became empty. I not only had my own children but worked with other kids for 20 years.

Jennifer Wagner said...

This one really tugged at my heart...sigh...time goes so quickly, doesn't it?

Kay L. Davies said...

You had me blinking back tears here: even though you still have several at home, seeing two grow up is a sure sign the others will follow, and all too soon.
K

Anonymous said...

no kidding ~