Sunday, March 23, 2014

"Home"

"it's better to look at the sky than live there.  Such an empty place; so vague.  
Just a country where the thunder goes and things disappear."  
Holly from "Breakfast at Tiffany's - Truman Capote


Unbounded, immeasurable is the sky
where I whisper secrets, fling dreams,
have done so ever since I was a little girl

who, with far-reaching loneliness
looked to the clouds for comfort,
at times for assumption.

When will I learn to trust boundless love,
accept you won't rumble discontent,
criticize; realize there is no need
to hold my breath or hide?

Here, by your side is a home
that will never be empty, a love
that will never threaten nor disappear.

by Margaret Bednar, March 23, 2014

This is for Imaginary Garden with Real Toads "Play it Again, Toads #3".  I selected the archived challenge "The Story' - select a quote from "Breakfast at Tiffany's and write a poem in any form or style which explore the thoughts which arise.

When I was a young girl and teenager I adored the old movies and loved to read - often outside beneath the clouds with my beloved cat. Over two years ago I wrote a poem "A Summer's Breeze".  I was quite shy and well, I had low self-esteem for one reason or another.  I remember often holding my breath - if I was scared, embarrassed, shy…  I truly have buried my insecurities, but at times "she" does reappear - funny how we resurrect our past at times…


15 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

lovely and sad at the same time. :)

Grace said...

I love the ending ~ I guess inside we all have the semblance of shy and quiet girl ~ We learn in time though that our sky is only limited by our vision ~

Lovely images, thanks Margaret ~

Brian Miller said...

when will be learn to trust love....that last stanza is def a heart warmer...in some ways we all have those insecurities...

Fireblossom said...

I used to hold my breath, too. I love your poem, and the way you conclude it.

Kenia Santos said...

My first thought was to use the same quote and photo!!!

I love the feelings contained in this poem and the way you end it really something. <3

Kay L. Davies said...

I still find myself holding my breath, too. I call it "forgetting to breathe".
I love your final stanza.
K

Susan said...

I catch myself little in front of vastness, holding my breath now and then. You capture this well. Now on those occasions, I give myself a hug. I wish I had someone like me then to love me.

Anonymous said...

Absolute tender thoughts Margaret... Not just your poetry, nor the amazing quote that you based it on, but your added thoughts on your childhood and the past. I think in those words you maybe described why you would want to "bury that little girl..." I say you should embrace her, as you have done so eloquently here. This is just part of who Margaret is and whom Margaret has become. And I would only add it is what allows Margaret to hit the ball completely out of the ball park with poems like this one. I would truly love to read "A Summer's Dream."

Kerry O'Connor said...

Firstly, Margaret I want to say how extraordinary this photo is. The subject is simple, but the position of each gull against the cloudy sky is pure poetry. Your words compliment both picture and well-chosen quote from Breakfast at Tiffany's, and yet they contain so much of yourself. Wonderful post.

Helen said...

Another amazing Margaret photo ... words and image perfectly paired. (I did an annoying cough thing when I felt insignificant and overwhelmed) .. not certain it was any better than holding my breath.

Friko said...

A beautiful love poem.
You have no reason to lack confidence. Shyness is different.

Maude Lynn said...

Exactly, Margaret.

Hannah said...

Emotive and moving...expressed well, Margaret.

Ella said...

I still have moments when I hold my breath. I loved your challenge and how you shared so much-yes your words tug at my heart, too~

Thank you for your beautiful photos-I loved your challenge!

Natašek said...

very touching, full of emotion....