Tuesday, March 11, 2014

"Before Trendy" A poem of NYC 1970



"Before Trendy" - NYC 1970

There is a shine to innocence
reminiscent of a perfectly rounded red apple
before the bite, before one negotiates price
above a crime-filled subway

or takes a ride
to New York's Eden
of peep shows & Paradise House
with five tempting Eves.

Boho's a lifestyle
without a thought towards chic,
co-exists beside Bowery bums
sprawled, huddled, & homeless.

Who can afford innocence
while bankruptcy pillages
Brooklyn's "skid row",
stoops filled with glum & jobless?

Musicians stroll, can in hand,
beg a few coins, for that's all it takes
for a toke to escape
from the shirtless among litter

& identity unknown,
chain-smoking corruption
upon Central Park bench,
observing muggings & rapes.

Lower East Side - raw,
unforgiving, an apple tarnished,
sweetness soured, discarded
in Hell's Kitchen

& the dreamers
have not been warned.


by Margaret Bednar, March 6, 2014

"Trendy Lower East Side 2014" -  by Chelsea Susan
This is for the Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Personal Challenge.  Marian Kent tapped me to do the impossible (for me).  To write a poem evoking, sited in, or inspired by the bohemian New York City of Patti Smith and Robert Mapplethorpe (late '60s/early 70's)  She gave me a lengthy list of possibilities … but the ending idea is probably what I grasped … "so long as what you write gets its inspiration here".  I must say, the 70's nor NYC are my favorite topics and I never would have written about them if left on my own.

I have been on a blogger break (cleaning and purging stuff from closets, attic, etc) and have plans for this whole week which will keep me away, so I will be absent a bit longer.  I miss my Toads and blogging buds - and will be back soon.

HERE is a fascinating blog all about NYC "chronicling an ever-changing city through faded and forgotten artifacts.  ENJOY.  Be sure to note the "categories" in the right hand margin.

"Museum of the City of New York" is an amazing sight of over 135,000 images and objects of NYC.  Below is a partial image of Hell's Kitchen".  I don't believe 1970.  To get the full image, you must go to the link above.  

5 comments:

21 Wits said...

Oh my you set an excellent mood of time and place, nicely done. Great photo as well.

Marian said...

love, love, LOVE. my hat's off to you, Margaret. really stellar!

Brian Miller said...

nice...you capture some pretty cool details...and nice play off the Big Apple...i like the eve refrence too....very cool margaret...i love new york....

Kathryn Dyche said...

Such a great write and like Brian I love the apple reference. You knocked it out of the park.

Raining Iguanas said...

Your break intensified your return. This was wonderful.