Sunday, April 7, 2013

IGWRT's Wednesday Challenge - Existentialism "Aquarium Alligator"

This is Alabaster, 1 of 50 known albino alligators.  He lives at the SC Aquarium in Charleston.
Aquarium Alligator

Thirty-seven million years and me,
five feet apart, eye level.

I fog the glass, tap,
unblinking he floats.

"Evil" I think, but ponder...

Territorial predators, we,
both possess powerful jaws,

he rips, I gossip.  He eats,
nourishes.  I destroy for fun.

Perhaps he's afraid of me.

by Margaret Bednar, April 7, 2013


I started thinking of the topic for this poem while visiting the South Carolina Aquarium this past week while on spring break with a few of my children.  The challenge for Imaginary Garden with Real Toad's is "Existentialism" which can be described as:  individual experience, sense of isolation, indifferent environment, responsibility for choices made, the grappling of the meaning of life...

5 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

nice take on that, margaret!

Other Mary said...

That's excellent Margaret. I think it's a difficult topic, and I love how you used the alligator to portray it. Personally, I think with them it's instinct, with us there is choice...so just who hast he burden of evil?

Unknown said...

Wow! That is great work.
Split face Tile

Helen said...

Wonderful where your mind went with this challenge ... feels fresh. The analogy really sharp!

Ginnie Hart said...

I really do like how you "nail" these assignments, Margaret.