Thursday, March 7, 2013

IGWRT's Out of Standard with Izy & Friday Flash 55 "Friday Night"


(click above to hear)

Friday Night

High heels,
strobe lights,
five dollar pitchers,
flirtatious smile:
Friday night shorthand
"Buy me a drink".
Youth let loose,
once upon a time...

*

Warm woolies,
reading lamp,
glass of red wine,
Piano Man shuffled,
tow-headed youth
snuggled asleep
upon my breast

husband winks,
lip syncs
"The Night is Still Young"

and it is.

by Margaret Bednar, March 7, 2013


This is for Imaginary Garden with Real Toad's Challenge "Out of Standard with Izy".  We are to pick three words from an old job we didn't like so much and turn around and create a poem having nothing to do with work.  As a secretary, I had many bosses and I adored most.  But ONE really was a pain in the you know what.

My three words:  shorthand, high heels, smile (secretaries must always be pleasant :)

Piano Man shuffled - meaning songs mixed on the iPod (most everyone probably knows this)

It's a bit of a crazy little poem, but my brain is fried - I've shown my house four times this week as we have it on the market.  So far, no luck and I may tire of this pretty soon.  We don't have to sell, just thought we would down size a bit...  

I also linked up with Friday Flash 55 - a fiction story in 55 words no more, no less.  But this one is more truth than fiction.  And he KNOWS what to play (anything Billy Joel) to better his chances :)


17 comments:

g-man said...

Margaret Bednar...
What a Norman Rockwell moment you've created
Loved your perfect 55
Sorry about your home showings, it's the
Right house for someone though.
Thanks for your weekly Masterpieces
Thanks for your warm encouragement
Have a Kick Ass Week End

g-man said...

And I almost forgot...
TOUCHDOWN!!!!!

Susie Clevenger said...

Love the differences in your Friday nights...Good luck on selling your house! The right one just hasn't seen it yet!

anthonynorth said...

Two excellent nights there. Beautifully done.

Cad said...

And we all like Fridays...

izzy said...

Loved your scenic 55! a secretary
not something I would have tried!

TALON said...

Perfection!

Kerry O'Connor said...

This is very special, Margaret. It's one of those rare things that have me thinking: All's right with the world.

Lolamouse said...

Trying saying "Youth let loose" three times in a row!

I LOVE this poem. Reminds me of my life too! Billy Joel was one of my favorites in college. My husband (before he was my husband!) fancied himself Billy Joel and wore the same caps and sports coat that he used to wear! He seduced me with his piano playing too!

TexWisGirl said...

my how times change...

Anonymous said...

What an amazing poem you've created out of something you didn't like. Wow! I love the contrast. Good luck with the house.

Alice Audrey said...

It's a great 55. Certainly shows the changes is life over time.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Great contrast. Something to be said for those five-dollar pitchers and flirtation smiles, but equally wonderful is life in the second stanza. I guess we're lucky if we've had both.

Anonymous said...

Well your brain may be fried, but I thought it a very charming piece - very cute and cool.

So sorry about your house - it must be very wearing. I am in the middle of moving. Agh. k.

Isadora Gruye said...

lovely juxtaposition, Margaret. I found the jump from stanza 1 to stanza two from the high heels, pitchers, and dancing to the red woolies to be totally effective in conveying the difference of two worlds.

I also really liked how you embedded your work words into a world of relaxation (not just one but two, and I would opt for the world of woolies anyday!).

thanks for posting to the out of standard and viva la

hedgewitch said...

Great use of contrasts here, Margaret, and the brevity of a 55 is a perfect vehicle for this time capsule of love and life.

Ginnie Hart said...

HA! Never too old or tired to keep the flame alive. I love it!