Sunday, December 9, 2012

IGWRT's Sunday Mini-Challenge "Elopement"

©  Daryl Edelstein
Elopement

Most women dream
of a dress alabaster pure,
trumpet shaped Calla lilies,
Pachelbel's Canon in D,
rainbow confetti,
and a prince with which
to live happily ever after.

I dreamt of alabaster legs
covered in sand,
toes rendezvous red,
yellow string bikini,
Emerald Martinis
and a man with which
to paint the town.

We've never regretted it.

by Margaret Bednar, December 9, 2012

This is for Imaginary Garden of Real Toad's "Sunday Mini-Challenge".  Photography prompts are courtesy of Daryl Edelstein.  Her photographs of New York are wonderful!

I had a wedding, not like the one described, but if I could rewind the clock 23 years...

19 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

I love the contrast you built up between the two stanzas. Somehow we are brainwashed to want the ivory-clad traditional wedding, when there are far more fun ways to get hitched!

Amrit Sinha said...

This is so lovely :-)

TexWisGirl said...

very nice!

Fireblossom said...

What a cool poem, with so much positive 'tude in the second section. Dare I confess, now, that I'm one of the former, though I would replace the prince with a princess? Too late now, though. *sigh*. If I ever get married again, I'll be grateful simply not to be wearing Depends and mismatched cardigans.

Margaret said...

Never too late! I think the second stanza is perfect for slightly older adults. If one has a living family, it is wonderful to share this day. I know I want to see ally children married, but would live to keep it aimple and small and THEN they can take the $ saved and gave sex in the beach :P

Margaret said...

...and so much less expensive!

Margaret said...

Living. Ha. Should have read "loving"

Margaret said...

My fingers aren't so nimble on the iPhone. A few misspellings above. Ally should be all my and "gave" should be "have"

LLM Calling said...

I'm totally with you, much better choice

Hannah said...

You paint a vivid picture, Margaret...well done!!

Unknown said...

The second section gives me ideas for renewing my vows!

Kay L. Davies said...

You did this on an iPhone? I'm impressed.
I love the contrast in this poem, Margaret. Good work!
K

Far Beyond The Ridge said...

A foundation of sand may sound romantic, but sand is ever shifting.
Just take my word for it
Nice job

Margaret said...

Ha!

Margaret said...

Not the post, Kay. Just the reply.

Maude Lynn said...

I eloped to Vegas. Best decision ever!

I really like the way you structured this.

Ruth said...

Your re-vision of a wedding is quite warm and wonderful. I, too, would re-imagine mine, though I don't know how at this moment ...

Ginnie Hart said...

You had me really smiling by the time I got to the end, Margaret. How fun! :)

Laura said...

"toes rendezvous red"... oooh love that!