Saturday, September 22, 2012

IGWRT's Mary's Mixed Bag "Seeking"


Seeking

I hesitate, iron gate ajar,
lift my eyes toward Grandfather,
seek guidance, wisdom,

but his eyes are hazy,
faraway;

hinges squeak
in protest as slowly, heavily
I walk back
one step at a time.

pray a blessing
some day will come my way.



by Margaret Bednar   9.22.12


This is a beautiful gate from Biltmore Estates.  A truly stunning place that was built by George Vanderbilt and completed in 1895.  (If you click the link there is a short video of this "wonder".   I took a tour of the 250 room home and they assure us the servants were well treated.  But, the work and toil these women did was daunting to me .... my voice in this poem is of a young woman who, perhaps, dreams her lot in life was a bit different.

Grandfather mountain is a peak in the Pisgah mountain range, which Vanderbilt owned and sold to the Government and is now a National Forest.  The Blue Ridge Parkway is one of my favorite places to visit.

I have linked this with Imaginary Garden with Real Toad's  - Mary's Mixed Bag - Fences

18 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

beautiful photo - and prayer

Kerry O'Connor said...

I love the texture of your photo. It transports the imagination back to the time you write about, and it's heartening to know that the voice of an anonymous servant may be heard in the imagination today. It means they are not forgotten.

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Lovely processing of the photo

Ella said...

I enjoyed this~ I have been wanting to go there~ Thank you for sharing and your view was intriguing~
The wanderlust they all must of had-
It is sad n' beautiful~ :D

Amrit Sinha said...

Loved the poem ... very well written !!!

Helen said...

Our family spent many long weekends exploring the Blue Ridge Mountains way back in the late 60s. (We lived in DC) ... also one of my favorite places. For some reason, I can't really articulate, your poem brought tears to my eyes.

Mystic_Mom said...

So beautiful and finely crafted! Love the photo too!

Dan said...

Gorgeous photo and post-processing!

gautami tripathy said...

Beautiful photo and awesome poem!

wrapped in solitude

Fireblossom said...

I didn't understand the poem until I read the note underneath. Now I love it.

Susie Clevenger said...

Beautiful photo...love how you gave a voice to a young girl who only wished to learn from a grandfather who was too distant to speak it.

Mary said...

I love the photo. I too toured the Biltmore Estates once. Lovely accompanying poem as well!

Maude Lynn said...

I love the mood you created with this! Beautiful!

Mary B. Mansfield said...

Such an air of sadness in this poem. Lovely!

Kay L. Davies said...

Wonderfully done, Margaret, a vast estate seen through a servant's eyes makes it all the more real.
K

kaykuala said...

Tracts of land, big mansions and a bevy of faithful servants it can't create the awe any better. I can well imagine the laments of those servants. Nice take Marge and a lovely pic!

Hank

Ginnie Hart said...

I love that place, Margaret, but even more so through your eyes. If ever I go back, I hope I can take time to SEE it as you have!

Teresa said...

As always, your photo is beautiful! The poem is quite haunting. It's truly scary to think of the difference in the lives of people a century ago from the luxuries we have today.