Friday, April 6, 2012

"A Tulip's Season" a poem & more Monticello photos



A Tulip's Season

Springtime's belles
gaily promenade their colors
beside Monticello's
southwest winding walk.

A few bend low,
flirtatiously expose
abundant decolletege,
whilst others preen
slender and tall,
corset-shaped allure enough.

With cherry hued cheeks,
some perform the St. James Bow;
others eagerly display
soft yellow taffeta gowns.

Divine debutantes all,
graciously receive guests
with a "How do you do",
pray not to be deflowered
without a crystal vase
to rest their stems.

Margaret Bednar, Art Happens 365, April 6, 2012





Thomas Jefferson loved to be outside and surround himself with nature.  He felt the flower beds would limit the variety and number of flowers he might wish to have, so he came up with the idea of an informal "winding walk" with a narrow border (or ribbon beds) of flowers on each side.

Starting in 1808, by 1812 it had become quite a project with ten foot sections, each compartment numbered and planted with different species of flower.   Jefferson did not concern himself with being fashionable and loved the idea of his flower beds being balanced with "the workhouse of nature".

I really enjoyed the naturalness myself, and I love the thought that perennial bulbs continue to flourish 115 years after Jefferson's death.

13 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

very cute! flirty and yet proper. :)

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Absolutely GLORIOUS photos!!!! I enjoyed the poem, as well!

Kerry O'Connor said...

Your photos are magnificent as always. I love the colours and rich texture of the flowers.

Susie Clevenger said...

Beautiful photos and wonderful poem..the marriage of two art forms.

(Sadly I do not have any of my mother's braided rugs.)

Daydreamertoo said...

Beautiful. You take the most exquisite photographs. always so rich in detail and vibrant with life and colours. The prose is so vivid and full of life too.
Lovely.
RYN: I'm sure people do become addicted to being stuck in the doldrums of life. I think when we can't cope with it, we go back to the place we feel most comfortable being.
Some people sail through life and nothing ever touches them, and other find it all such a struggle, a fight with untold amount of demons to have to endure, until they can't fight it anymore. Life, is so strange, isn't it. :)

Grace said...

your pictures are lovely.

i would like to use the tulip picture for my haiku tomorrow ~

credit to you ~

thanks

Margaret said...

Grace. Of course you may. I can't wait to read your poem.

Ginnie Hart said...

FABULOUS! And to live in the country of tulips just adds to the joy when I see them elsewhere.

Kerry O'Connor said...

I remember this gorgeous post - and it's perfect for today. Enjoy your vacation, Margaret.

Lolamouse said...

I love the personification of the tulips! Beautiful photos as well!

Kay L. Davies said...

Delightful, Margaret! I'm sure Thomas Jefferson would love it.
K

Unknown said...

Beautiful photos! My favorite line is," pray not to be deflowered without a crystal vase".

Susie Clevenger said...

I remember this beautiful post so well. Love the words and your gorgeous photographs!