Sunday, February 12, 2012

IGWRT Weekend Challenge, "Unsullied"

Photography by Talon
Unsullied

My intake of breath
draws your attention,
your eyes unwaveringly direct.

Inwardly my heartbeat
drums a frenzied beat
as unnaturally close we stand.

Intimately the ocean breeze
encircles us, embraces us,
tidal waves wash our feet.

Indecisively I stand, trance-like
wishing to reach out and touch
but propriety dictates a hushed reverie.

I accept your gift, unsullied
a moment shared between two worlds
until you decide to spread your wings

and fly.

by Margaret  Bednar, Art Happens 365, February 12, 2012

This is for Imaginary Garden with Real Toads "Weekend Challenge"

I wrote a similar poem on May 4, 2011, but I think this is significantly different, perhaps an improved version, to offer this as an original take on the above photo prompt.  The photos below I took while on spring break last year.  I was within touching distance of this Great Blue Heron while walking the beach and I was so surprised as these birds are usually quite shy and evasive.  I have tried many times, unsuccessfully to capture them soaring in the air.  Talon's photo above wonderful and I love the texture of the grass!




9 comments:

Janet Martin said...

Stunning, both poem and photos. I love the 'layers' in the poem.

Denise Moncrief said...

a moment shared between two worlds. Wonderful expression.

Mary said...

This is beautiful. I love your photographs, and I love the last stanza of your poem (which I tried to highlight but could not). Stunning work.

Kay L. Davies said...

I'm with Denise, a wonderful expression, and part of a wonderful poem, Margaret. Thank you for sharing your own photos to go with Talon's shot of the heron.
K

TALON said...

Margaret, I love your poem. Isn't it just like that when we get so close to nature? It is "a moment shared between two worlds". Just gorgeous! As are your photos! I get a lot of my heron shots when I'm canoeing :)

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

Very lovely!

Susie Clevenger said...

I love sharing a moment with nature's beautiful creatures...love your poem and images...I have several nature photos on my other blog. I should put them on a photography blog..I am too lazy...lol

Ginnie Hart said...

Those elegant birds! OMG!

Kerry O'Connor said...

Oh, this is such a beautiful response: the natural urges in a natural setting and the clever use of metaphor at the end.