Saturday, January 14, 2012

Imaginary Garden with Real Toads - Photography Challenge Sunday "No Faith"

Photographer:  Isadora Gruye of The Nice Cage Blog
No Faith

Hope pursues me, winged
My childhood friend
Imploring I give prayer a chance

I did once
If not a thousand times
And grace
Let
Me
Down.

As black of eye
And sore of leg
I staggered away
From him.

Not bothering
To close the gate
As precious minutes
That would take.
Photographs, jewelry,
Bible left behind
He begged, "One more chance"
Assured me "Never again!"

I declined.

For all the saints
In heaven above
Their prayers
Were not enough
To change his ways
Change his heart.

My world has fallen apart
Rebuild it now, I must.

Angelic promises?
No devotion, have I.

I've heard them all before.

by Margaret Bednar, Art Happens 365, January 14, 2012

* * * * *

This is written for Imaginary Garden with Real Toads, "Photographic Challenge Sunday".  Isadora Gruye of The Nice Cage Blog is the featured poet and photographer.  

This poem in NO way reflects any experience I have had (thank God).  I overheard someone talking about a relationship they had escaped from and how they had lost faith in God.  I couldn't help but think perhaps their prayers were answered.  I mean, how many women stay in abusive relationships, unable to find the courage to leave?

Art Work from Google Images

13 comments:

Fireblossom said...

Abusers are accomplished mindfuckers. They can be as charming and winning as they care to be, when they are not making you wish you were dead. It takes a lot of strength to leave them, oftentimes.

Maude Lynn said...

What a powerful piece, Margaret! Excellent write.

Anonymous said...

Completely true. Well put. K.

Christine said...

It's hard to keep the door open to faith when one feels the angels have ignored them. Terrific write.

Brian Miller said...

nice..i like the close on this and deal with quite a bit of abuse in my world and plenty that find themselves in these situations that see no other way out...security being a huge thing even in th face of the abuse...sad.

Kerry O'Connor said...

You have explored a difficult subject with enormous empathy for those who suffer abuse. Your words, informed by the photography, are a highly original response to the challenge.

hedgewitch said...

Couldn't agree with the sentiments in the poem more, but also can see exactly what you mean in your commentary--we can't get impossible things in this world--like one man becoming another--but we can find a way to survive.

Susie Clevenger said...

I suffered abuse as a child and kept its atrocious secret..I relate to your words so well. Such an original response to the photo prompt.

Kay L. Davies said...

I understand why this photo brought on this kind of response, because it did the same to me. You have phrased it more artfully, however. Very well done.

Margaret said...

Thanks, everyone. I have never been in an abuse situation, but do know of people who have been. It breaks my heart and leaves very little pity in me for those how are cowards and bullies...

Raven said...

This may not have happened to you but you gave your words excellent voice. A fine poem.

Isadora Gruye said...

I really liked the layering you put on this piece. One reading could lend itself to a depiction of an abusive relationship.

A second reading could lend itself to an imagined abusive relationship with hope itself. Where in Hope from your first line is actually the human form of that concept. In that regard, I found this to be a fascinating commentary on how we allow hope and faith to abuse us.

Thank you so much for putting such complexities to my image. viva la

Margaret said...

Thank you everyone. I have been a bit lax in getting around to blog viewing and commenting as we are involved with a theatre play last week and this. Check my Saturday post out ... I have photos of my husband in "Nunsense Amen".