Friday, November 11, 2011

dVerse & Friday Flash 55 - "All Consuming"

Thomas Sabo Heart Shaped Feather Wings Pendant
This was QUITE the challenge.  For dVerse "Prose to Poetry" hosted this week by Zsa of Zumwalt Poems the task was to:

(1) pick a passage from a novel, essay or short story that qualifies as prose, but for you is particularly poetic.  

(2) without changing a word, reformat it so it looks like poetry.  (I changed it up a bit as I deleted the italicized words)

(3) rework it to form the standard of poetry we adhere to (free verse is mine)

I did not have that much time this weekend, so I also used this as my Friday Flash 55 challenge!  (a story in 55 words). 




My excerpt is from “The Secret Life of Bees”, by Sue Monk Kidd
Whatever it is that keeps widening your heart, that’s Mary, too, not only the power inside you but the love.  And when you get down to it, Lily, that’s the only purpose grand enough for a human life.  Not just to love, but to persist in love.
Whatever it is that keeps 
widening your heart,
that’s Mary, too, 
not only the power inside you
but the love.  
That’s the only purpose
grand enough
for a human life.   
Not just to love,
but to persist in love.
*  *  *

All Consuming
Endlessly stretching before me
an all-consuming power it is,
visited often by pain and woe.   
And yet, blessed I am
to call you mine, 
protecting, guiding, and 
the hardest: letting you go.  
My heart has sprouted 
mighty wings, it seems, 
persistently soaring 
not for myself, 
but for a far grander purpose:
you, my child.

by Margaret Bednar, Art Happens 365, November 11, 2011

13 comments:

G-Man said...

Margaret Bednar...
You are such a priceless gift to our small corner of Blogdom.
All of this creative genius comes so natural to you.
Loved your 55.
Thganks for playing, and have a Kick Ass Week-End

Monkey Man said...

Nicely done.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

passionate words.
truly loving 55.

Happy Friday.

Mary said...

Oh, you did so well with the dVerse prompt, not an easy one indeed. And I like the idea of one's heart soaring for one's children.

Take a look at the Poetry Jam prompt I provided this week. As a photographer, painter, and poet, I think it will appeal to you!

Claudia said...

wow..you approached two challenges in one go..and you've done great..kudos margaret

Anonymous said...

Love your choice of text for the challenge. This is a powerful excerpt. And how you turn this into such a wonderful ode of love of a parent for their child. Simply beautiful!

Bubba said...

Wonderful words, Margaret!

Aphrodite said...

All consuming, indeed :)

izzy said...

A great feeling indeed, &letting go adds to it after we get the knack...

Yousei Hime said...

A beautiful wish for someone transformed into a beautiful poem. To persist in love . . . most difficult and everyone's true calling.

Grace said...

I love it ~

Your last line is perfect "you, my child "

Happy weekend ~

Heaven

Brian Miller said...

wow...great book to choose from and really like how you made it your own...your heart shines through...as it should for our children...

Ginnie Hart said...

What a grand exercise, Margaret, to turn prose into poetry. I really like that and think you did a great job. Of course, I really like Sue Monk Kidd. :)

And then you followed it with your own sweet poem!