Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The "Conservatory" of Biltmore



I copied this directly from the Biltmore.com website:  The glass–roofed Conservatory, designed by Biltmore House architect Richard Morris Hunt, nurtures flowers and plants for Biltmore House and tender bedding plants for the gardens—just as it did in Vanderbilt's day. Its central room is a Palm House where a large collection of palms, ferns, and other foliage plants thrive year round. Annexes include a cool house, hot house and orchid house.



I took a few photos inside and in November 2010 I took these HERE.




I will post photos tomorrow of the walled garden directly outside the conservatory.  It was too hot and sunny to get any good photos so I went and ate in the "old" horse stable.  HERE is a "virtual" tour of this "barn".  You won't regret taking a peek.  And the food was wonderful.  After the late lunch, I strolled to the Bass Pond which I will show you later this week.  

4 comments:

Lesley said...

Looks a fantastic place to visit and those orchids are simply stunning!

Brian Miller said...

lovely...i love that sunflower...and that is my fav part of biltmore...

TexWisGirl said...

the opulence of that stable and entire building actually... whew!

Ivy said...

That sunflower is lovely. It's huge!!
Cheers~Ivy