Friday, October 15, 2010

36/365 "The "Other" Passion Fruit?"

"The "Other" Passion Fruit?"
This fruit, which is my eldest daughters favorite, is really quite beautiful.  I couldn't help but wonder if poetry had ever been written about it, and I'm not surprised to find it linked with love and the heart.

Elizabeth Barret Browning  wrote about the pomegranate (below).  Her heart was certainly broken early on with the tragic death of her brother and then to be disinherited by her father because she fell in love and married.  I do recognize her name, however, I am quite illiterate when it comes to poetry - it will be interesting to see if I like her writing.    

Excerpt from Elizabeth Barret Browning regarding a pomegranate: 

...which if cut deep down the middle 
Shows a heart within blood-tinctured, of a veined humanity! -
 Lady Geraldine's Courtship 165-166
You could not peel a fruit you fear to bruise
More calmly and more carefully than so, -
Nor would you find within, a rosier flushed
Pomegranate -
Aurora Leigh VI.562-565

2 comments:

Justine said...

what a lovely shot! I love this

Unknown said...

Wow, sweet macro shot! I love the vibrant colors.